Oath/Affirmation and Ethics
Members of Council are required to take the following oath or affirmation before assuming their position on Council:
I, _______________________, of the _____________________, in the Province of Ontario, make oath and say:
I will faithfully and impartially, to the best of my knowledge and skill, perform the duties of a member of the Council of the College and any committees of the Council on which I sit.
In so doing, I will ensure that the guiding principle in the performance of my duties is the duty to serve and protect the public interest, which is my duty as a Council member and a duty of the College.
I will perform the duties of my position without favour or ill will to any person or entity.
I will ensure that other memberships, directorships, voluntary or paid positions or affiliations that I may hold will not interfere or conflict with the performance of my duties as a Council member.
So help me God. (Omitted by Members taking an affirmation)
Sworn before me in the City of Toronto on the ______ day of ________________, 202__.
COUNCIL MEMBER COMMISSIONER FOR OATHS
Members of the College Council made a commitment to professionalism and fairness.
Members of the Council shall, in the performance of their duties:
- comply with the provisions of the Ontario College of Teachers Act, 1996, the regulations made under the Act and the bylaws of the College
- familiarize themselves with the Act, the regulations, the bylaws and any other records and documents that may be necessary for the performance of the duties of their office
- ensure that confidential matters coming to their attention as members of the Council are not disclosed by them except as required for the performance of their duties or as directed by the Council or the Chair
- recognize the distinction between their corporate and individual authority as Council members and conduct themselves accordingly with College staff, members of the College and the public
- exercise care, diligence, skill and prudence in carrying out the business of the College
- conscientiously perform duties on behalf of the officers of the College, as requested
- seek to enhance the public perception of the College and the profession of teaching.