Terms of Reference
May 31 2012
The Ontario College of Teachers commissioned the Hon. Patrick J. LeSage to review its investigation and discipline procedures and outcomes, and dispute resolution program. The terms of reference asked Mr. LeSage to:
- determine whether College processes and procedures protect the public interest, including the processes and procedures contained in:
- the Ontario College of Teachers Act, regulations passed under that Act and College bylaws
- policies, rules and guidelines used by the Investigation and Discipline Committees. Such policies, rules and guidelines would include the “Use of Prior Decisions and/or Concurrent Complaints and Related Information Involving the Same Member”; “Investigation Committee Decisions in the Margaret Wilson Library” and the Discipline Committee’s “Rules of Procedure”
- determine whether these processes and procedures provide fair, impartial and timely adjudication of complaints against members
- examine whether the College’s dispute resolution program protects the public interest
- consider whether the College’s communication and publication practices prior to and following a hearing meet current standards of transparency
- examine whether the College’s Investigation and Discipline Committee members receive appropriate training and legal support to carry out their mandate to protect and serve the public interest
- examine whether cases involving similar findings of fact have resulted in a consistent range of penalties or other outcomes.
- examine whether the College provides acceptable protection of confidentiality in its investigation and hearing procedures
- review College protocols for the initial handling of frivolous and vexatious concerns.