Invitation to apply
August 20 2019
College Council Vacancy: Private Schools
College members who are employed by a private school are invited to apply to serve in this vacant Council position.
Serving on Council:
Council governs the College. It is currently made up of 23 members of the College elected by their peers and 14 members of the public appointed by the provincial government. Council ensures that policies to regulate the teaching profession are established in accordance with the College’s objects as set out in the Ontario College of Teachers Act.
Council members protect the public interest, serve their profession, grow as leaders, and develop skills in board governance.
How to Apply:
You may submit an expression of interest for this position if:
- you are a member in good standing with the College
- you live in Ontario
- you are employed by an Ontario private school that has submitted a current notice of intention under section 16 of the Education Act
- you are not on a leave of absence for any reason other than illness, compassion, family or parental
- you are available to participate in Council and committee meetings, held in Toronto, from the time of your appointment until June 30, 2021.*
* As you have read in the pages of our magazine, the Council has recently completed a full review of its governance structure and made a number of recommendations to the Minister of Education. The effects and timing of any possible changes to the current Council and committee structure are unknown at this time, however, the changes could affect the duration of your term on Council.
If you meet the criteria and would like to serve on the Council of your professional governing body, please forward your cover letter and resumé by email to Kim Bauer, Council and Committees Officer at email@example.com.
The deadline for receipt of applications is September 30, 2019.
The Governance Committee will review all applications, meet with short-listed candidates and recommend a nominee to Council.
If you are selected by Council to serve:
Your employer's salary expenses will be reimbursed for temporary replacements for time that you are engaged in College business. You will be directly reimbursed for travel and accommodation costs associated with Council and committee business.
Please contact Kim Bauer toll-free in Ontario at 1-888-534-2222, extension 614 for further information on the duties associated with Council service.